February is Black History Month! As teachers, we know you are working toward representation and inclusion every day in your classrooms. This month we’ve included some resources to help you celebrate and honor Black History Month. We hope you can use these resources all year long!
2022 Black History Month Student and Educator Contests
- First Lady Casey DeSantis announced this year’s Black History Month contests theme is Celebrating African-American Contributions to Florida’s History. Student essay contest winners will receive a 4-Year Florida College Plan scholarship provided by the Florida Prepaid College Foundation. Student contest forms and educator nomination forms must be mailed to Volunteer Florida or submitted online at www.FloridaBlackHistory.com.
Teaching the Complete History
- Work toward teaching the whole story of Black History by going beyond trauma and struggle to focus on liberation, civic engagement, creativity and the intersecting identities of Black people during Black History Month. Check out this article from Learning for Justice on teaching the complete history.
Virtual Visit to the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- In celebration of Black History Month, explore NMAAHC’s Searchable Museum. The Searchable Museum is an opportunity to engage with online exhibitions, virtual symposia and digital programs. The Museum reaches beyond walls to provide a rich digital experience that includes a multimedia presentation of NMAAHC’s historical narratives, collections, and educational resources.
Books, Lesson Plans, and Activities
- Books and Vocabulary Recommendations for Black History Month – Click Here
- Black History Month Lesson Plans – Click Here
- Black History Month Free Activity Sheets – Click Here
Don’t Forget to Nominate for the Step Up for Students Rising Stars Awards!
Please join us in celebrating scholarship students around the state for our annual Rising Stars Awards! This year, Step Up for Students is offering a hybrid experience! In-person events will be held in Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Broward, or you may choose to attend a virtual award ceremony!
Nominate up to three scholarship students total from your school!
- High Achieving Student Award
- Turnaround Student Award
- Outstanding Student Character Award
- Super Senior Award
Nominate Your Students by February 11th. Click here to nominate!